Tuesday, July 19, 2011

a finish (!!!) and a WIP

first, the finish:

It's a bag for holding all those plastic grocery bags, and it makes me ridiculously happy :)
I love the fabrics, I love how this type of useful handmade iteams are starting to pop up all over my house, and I love that those plastic bags are out of the fishtank. The boys are hoping this means we will be filling the tank with goldfish now :)

By the way, this was the bit of patchwork my machine ate a few weeks ago when it got hungry.  Remember that?  I do ;)
that is what it looked like when it was all flat  :)
I used a tutorial from the Moda Bakeshop to make my bag, but I did add an extra row of charm squares to make it longer (a 10 gallon fishtank holds a lot of bags, I wanted to make sure I had room for them all)

and the WIP?  a 62"x75" sampler I have been working on for ages for my MIL.
I had a few hours at home without the kiddos {!!!!} (don't get me wrong, I love 'em and all, but, you know...)  so I pulled my big ol' roll of batting out of the closet, a can of 505 spray and fix, and the top.  I decided this rare child-free time was perfect for basting because 1)  I needed to take over the whole kitchen floor, and 2) just incase anyone turned on a fan and accidently set off an explosion at least my kids would be safe, and 3)  if breathing the vapors caused any lasting damage, again, at least the kids would be safe

Does anyone else find the back of a 505 spray and fix can scary?  I ought to save that thing for Halloween.  "It was a dark and stormy night.  She reached for her can of 505 spray and fix ...."

I know, I know, I'm just a big chicken.  :)

Anyway, here this baby is all basted:
I think I'm going to keep it simple and quilt a grid of straight lines running horizontally and vertically.  Because I just. want. it. done.

So what have you been sewing on?
I'm linking to Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story and WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  Two link parties, one post.  It's kind of like that two birds, one stone thing, you know?  ;)
You can check out the buttons on my sidebar if you are so inclined.
Happy Tuesday/Wednesday to you!
And if you are wondering, my kitchen is still standing  ;)

7 comments:

Diane said...

Isn't it nice to have something lovely that you use everyday that you made, like your bag holder... it just makes the day happier! ... and I also wonder how many brain cells I am killing with my spray baste, but not so many that I get out the pins to baste instead.

Letterpress said...

I love my bag holder! I like those things that help keep me organized and keeps the clutter to a minimum. (Just don't look at my sewing studio!)

Your basted quilt looks lovely--I'm crazy about those large floral borders--they really echo the colors and style of the quilt. Bravo!

Elizabeth E.
http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

Lynette said...

hehe Yes, I find the back of the can disturbing. Which is why I stick to pins. Takes longer, but after nursing my mom through her terminal cancer, I'm extremely picky about which chemicals we expose ourselves to, what with so many unavoidable contributers.

Emily said...

Great bag holder! I have made lots of those and they make great gifts too. PS I used to live in NH :D

Jessica said...

I LOVE your bag holder- genius! And the fabrics - Amy Butler - fantastic choice :) Also, I HEAR YOU about wanting to get something done... you go girl! Get it done! :)

Q @ JAQS said...

What a lovely bag holder :)

BTW I'm hosting a Fabric Giveaway over at my site and giving away 12 FAT quarters. Swing by if you get a chance: http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/07/fabric-love-19-fats-and-fabric-giveaway.html

-Q

Melinda said...

I've only used spray once and wasn't completely satisfied, but I can't remember what kind I used so it may very well have been a case of "choosing the cheap" which did me in. I've been tempted by yours and other blogs to try it again!