Monday, May 21, 2012

It's Festival Time!

Amy's Creative Side

Hello Everyone! I'm squeaking in my entry to the Blogger's Quilt Festival at the last minute! :)


This is a quilt that, frankly, I've blogged to death.  I really feel like I should apologise to my regular followers for blogging it again but hey, I did take it out for new photos at least  :) 



Drunkard's Path QAL

I made this quilt as part of the DPQAL, which ended long before my top was complete. 


I started quilting 9 years ago, and this is the first {non-mini, snuggle under} quilt I've made for me.  And I love it.  There was one attempt to snatch away this quilt, but I don't think anyone else will be making that mistake....

This quilt taught me a lot about my how I like to quilt - my process.  Prior to my DP, I planned out all the details, bought fabric, and got to work.  Then I'd get really, really bored.  Lots of WIPs were born this way.  I've realized that the problem with this method is that all the creative decisions are made first, then all that is left is mostly non-creative work.

My Drunkard's Path quilt started when I bought 6 half yard cuts of Happy Mochi Yum Yum without a plan.  When the DPQAL started I knew I wanted to join in, but couldn't buy all new fabric for it at that moment, so I turned to my stash {I seriously love my stash!}.  I bought an equivalent amount of Kona Coal, and cut as many pieces from each fabric as I could, without being concerned about the size of the quilt I would end up with.

It wasn't until I had pieced the quarter circle units that I started playing around with layouts {did I mention this is my first curved seam quilt?} and chose to make print and grey circles.


Look at these great stripes that could have been - someday I will come back to this design :)


In the end, I went with the checkerboard look.  I had four blocks leftover, which I had every intention of using on the back with some quilting cotton.  But when I was shopping at Joanns, I saw a great grey plaid flannel, and since I just have to stroke every fabric I see, I did.  The bolt went into my cart so I could stroke it while I finished shopping for what I was there for in the first place.  I had every intention of putting it back.  Then to my surprise, the bolt just jumped up on the cutting table with my other fabric!  Obviously, it was meant to be :)


Ok, all that to say I learned that I like to take a relaxed, figure-it-out-as-I-go & stay-open-to-new-design-directions approach to quilting.  And in the end, I'm much happier with the finished quilt. 


Here is a quick run-down of the details:
fabrics are Happy Mochi Yum Yum {which should always be said to the rhythm of the conga dance} & Kona Coal
66" square-ish
backing is a grey flannel from Joanns
that's my Mom modeling for me!
and those four extra blocks are going to be a pillow.  Unless they decide to be something else...

21 comments:

CitricSugar said...

Beautiful! Yay for trying new things!

Cherie said...

The quilt is gorgeous! I could never tire of seeing it! Good luck in the festival! =D


I'm hosting a new swap over at my blog if anyone is interested please pop over for a look =D

http://ibescheraldine.blogspot.co.uk/p/goodie-bag-swap.html

sonia said...

Beautiful quilt. Love the pattern and the story of the fabric.
Congrats.

April said...

Spectacular! The grey was a perfect contrasting choice! Love it. April @ Little Mama Hen

Dorothy L. Wills said...

I love your quilt and you can blog about it more if you want to. Sharing your quilts is the fun part of having a blog. It's hard to show off all your hard work when the quilt never leaves the bed. Keep up the good work. (circles are still on my bucket list)

purduepam said...

Love your quilt. I have circles on my very long list of quilts to make.

Nicky said...

Love your style of process - and the fabulous result! Curved piecing is one I'd love to try and your quilt is great inspiration!

I never know how my quilts will turn out either - keeps the adventure alive!

Jessica Christensen said...

I love it. I get bored easily too, so I have a LOT -- and I mean A LOT of WIPs. Thanks for sharing your process, your learning experience.

Laura said...

It is gorgeous! I much prefer the checkerboard to the strips :) You made the right decision. Are you going to bring it out again for TGIFF? ;) Can't wait to see what's next!

Laura said...

It is gorgeous! I much prefer the checkerboard to the strips :) You made the right decision. Are you going to bring it out again for TGIFF? ;) Can't wait to see what's next!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a fabulous quilt! If I'd made it, I'd show it off every chance I got - you can't have too much of a good thing!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful quilt! Love the fabrics.

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Beautiful quilt and nice arrangement. I really like the straight row layout too.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It's gorgeous Allison!! Happy to see it again :)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

oh and I voted for you in one of the categories :)

Simply Sandy said...

Don't you just hate when the fabric jumps on cutting table! It happens to me all the time. And I love your method of not getting bored with the project. Love this and the fabrics together are perfect!

Habibti at Home said...

It is beautiful! Really a wonderful quilt! Makes me want to finish our wedding quilt for us that has been sitting for a while. It would be so nice to have a big quilt I made as I give them all away normally. Great quilt!

M-R Charbonneau said...

I just love the colours you chose and the layout, Allison!

Cindy Sharp said...

Lovely....yes, sometimes a project has a mind of it's own.

Marit said...

very prettY!
so impressed by all the curved seams...
; )

FarahLin said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!!! Love the prints and using gray solid makes a lovely contrast.