Monday, July 9, 2012

I've Conquered the Invisible Zipper!

Or has it conquered me?  It's hard to tell, haha! 

Last fall I cut out pieces to sew a skirt from fabric I bought a loooong time ago.  I had a ridiculously frustrating time doing that much , so the pieces have just sat around {until this weekend}


So, last week I came across this: 
Amy's Creative Side

and decided to finish my skirt and wear it to church on Sunday.  Even though I hadn't even looked at it for months.  And I wasn't sure where the pattern was.  But hey, why let the little details get in the way, right?

I bet you want to see that zipper :)


Ick, sorry for the crummy photo.  It looked better on my camera, honest :)

Can you see the line of stitches to the left of the zipper?  there isn't one on the right, and this is why - the directions said to handstitch the lining to the zipper.  It took me an hour to stitch one side.  Ok, I was a little distracted by the tv, but still.   I decided I could live with some top stitching showing on the other side.  Who is really going to see it, anyway?  the zipper goes over my butt, and there just aren't too many people who have any business looking that closely at my butt  :) 

interesting facts in no particular order:

- I used this awesome chocolate brown shiny stuff for the lining but didn't think to get a picture of it. no idea what it is, but it's shiny & pretty & feels so nice!

- I have no idea what the exterior fabric is, either.  I half expect this skirt won't survive the washing machine, since I'm not even certain this fabric is washable.  But it feels incredible! hehe 

- this is the first piece of clothing I've made for myself!

- I started sewing late Saturday afternoon. 

- lesson learned from this project:  when it is late Saturday afternoon and you are faced with the choice of either washing laundry or sewing new clothes (which you've never done before) if you don't want to go to church in your pj's, you probably should wash laundry.  Or go in your pj's.  Especially if you have a thing against sewing hems on Sunday mornings while getting the kids ready to leave.

- pattern is Barcelona Skirts by Amy Butler

And I finished just in time to slip it on & head out the door Sunday morning! 

P.S. - I'm back from my blogging break! hehehe  Actually, I've been lurking around.  Turns out it is hard to quit blogging cold turkey :)

Edited to add: I'm linking up to TNT Thursdays!  new things tried - sewing clothing, & an invisible zipper!
I'm also linking to Whoop Whoop Fridays & TGIFF!




12 comments:

Lisa said...

Tremendous! A zipper, a skirt and something to wear to church. I think you just won the trifecta! Don't wash it, just squirt it with febreeze. hehehe.

Dorothy L. Wills said...

Nice job. Do we get to see it modeled? I've repurposed some jeans into skirts but the zippers are already in...I think i have a zipper phobia...do they have a word for that?

Quilting Babcia said...

I don't 'do' sewing with zippers anymore. Not worth the frustration. Any self-respecting quilt doesn't have a zipper. So I stick with quilts, hehe ...
Great skirt and I love the fabric! We definitely should see the entire ensemble.

Celtic Thistle said...

I love the fabric you used for your skirt. Well done for conquering the zipper phobia there will be no stopping you now!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Doing a little invisible zipper happy dance for you - great job!

Cherie said...

Woo congratulations!! The skirt looks good! Wash it as silk and it should be fine =D

Julie said...

Zippers scare me! You did wonderfully!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Your skirt looks lovely! Congrats on the finish and especially the zipper :)

M-R Charbonneau said...

You crack me up, Allison. That is totally what I would do. Great job with the skirt. Are you going to do more? Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Laura said...

Oh wow, well done you!

Melissa Corry said...

Your zipper looks awesome!!! Way to try new things!!!

Lynette said...

Wow, way to go! It's a beautiful skirt. I hope it washes just fine. So did you end up finding the pattern, or did you even have to sew it up on your own? Zippers are not my favorite thing to do at all. I would have done the same thing as you, and put it through the machine for the second side. ;D