Friday, August 31, 2012

One of these things is not like the other...

One of these things just isn't the same.

Do you remember that song from Sesame Street?  I think of it every time I look at this picture:


Please pardon my wrinkles, these little hexies have done a lot of traveling! 


I've sewn on them at the lake, in the car, watching tv, at church, & at the park during the summer concert series. 


{I'm already missing summer evenings of good music and good stitching in my lawn chair while the boys play on the playground...}

Anywho...

This is as big as my hexies are gonna get, the plan is to make a table topper from them.  Since my kitchen table is round in it's smallest form, I think the hexagon shape will complement it nicely.

All of the hexies in the outer ring are attached by at least one side, now I'm going around and sewing the other sides.  I'm doing it that way to help avoid sewing oopsies while listening to concerts...

I just have one teensy tiny problem - I have no idea how to finish this.  I'd like to keep all the nice pointy edges of the hexagons, but I'm not sure how to back/baste/quilt&bind my EPP.  could you help me out?  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

In other news, I got a new nail polish color.  It's called Beach.  I love it :)


I'm linking up to the Handmade Parade & Slow Sunday Stitching & Design Wall Monday @ Patchwork Times, {even though I don't actually own a design wall, so pretty much any flat space I can find is my design spot - hope that doesn't break any rules}  :)

10 comments:

Carla said...

The easiest way is to appliqué it onto something. Either a circle or a square, then you have straight edges to bind. You can bind the hexagon edges but it is giddily. Enjoy.

Celtic Thistle said...

I'd second the applique suggestion, definitely the most straightforward way to do it. They are looking great, can't wait to see the finished table topper.

Cherie said...

Definitely applique!! Trying to bind all the separate edges would be a nightmare. =D

FarahLin said...

I'd say applique to the background piece too. Another idea is you could make some more hexies for the backing edges and whipstitch front and back hexies together and no binding necessary. Found this tutorial from Amy of Badskirt if you would want to give it a try.

Here's the link :
http://badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-finishing-you-hexie-quilts.html

scraphappy said...

Great looking hexies. They will make a great table topper.

Cathy Tomm said...

Love the hexies. I did do a hexagon wall quilt one time and really wanted the hexagon edge to kept. I sandwiched it, then based the edge to the back and turned both sides seams in and removed the outer paper rows, and cut back the batting. Then I kind of whipped the two edges (or blind stitched) together. No binding. All hand done, and best of all I have the hex edge. It was slow but I am very pleased with it. Than I quilted the out row at the end.

Quilter Kathy said...

Would it work to layer the backing and hexies right side together and sew a 1/4" all around, leave one hexie open and turn it inside out, then hand stitch the last seam closed? Like making a pincushion only with an irregular edge?
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

roberta said...

You could use half hexes around the outside edge and then it would be somewhat easier to bind. AND if you made them the same color as the table top they would blend in and your hexes would stand out. BTW one hex is upside down but then you probably know that. ;-)
Hugs!!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great hexies and a perfect color for fall! Cute nail polish too!

Sarah said...

Its seems you've already been given the 3 suggestions I had for finishing. Instead I'll invite you to join my monthly hexie linky party on the 17th. Hope to see your there!